Every child is a creative child, full of potential, with the desire and right to make meaning out of life within the context of rich relationships, in many ways and using many languages.
from In the Spirit of the Studio: Learning from the Atelier of Reggio Emilia
Our projects and classes encourage kids to explore their own questions, strengths, challenges, resources, and individuality though artistic self-expression and community.
Our goal is to provide kids with both emotional and functional benefits that will enrich their lives. Our role in this process is to:
- Find ways for kids to share their innovations and solutions with their communities
- Teach techniques that enable kids to implement their ideas
- Guide kids to find a purpose for their projects
- Connect kids with the resources and materials they need to actualize concepts
- Provide a safe environment for learning
Perhaps one of the greatest rewards of working with kids is seeing them realize the power of their own resources and watching them pursue their own ideas.
We believe when kids are in an environment where their opinions and perspectives are valued and appreciated, the impact of their ideas causes positive change in their local and global communities. Kids, like everyone, are empowered by the knowledge that they can make a difference, big or small.
For these reasons, Little Lane's classes are structured to create an environment that values kids' ideas and empowers them in their communities with benefits that include:
- freedom of expression
- open-minded listening
- increased self-confidence
- compassion + acceptance of others
At Little Lane, kids' social development is supported through collaboration and collective action. Students gain creative skills for art technique while experiencing the process of project work, planning, structure and outcome.
- Learn to work collaboratively with others.
- Benefit from sharing ideas and resources in a diverse environment.
- Gain artistic techniques which may include:
- printmaking, collage, paper & fabric arts, mixed-media, gardening, etc.
- Discover their unique leadership skills.
- Enhance their problem solving strategies.
We give kids the opportunity to bring their heart, innocence, and sense of possibility into their communities through art everyday.
Safety + Sustainability
Safety is paramount at Little Lane and we use only non-toxic and kid friendly products. We maintain a low student to teacher ratio and provide extra supervision and materials information for larger community projects.
We are dedicated to sustainability and the re-use of materials. We use recycled objects and earth friendly materials whenever possible. Additionally, we teach sustainable practices by incorporating natural elements, found objects, and recycled materials into our art projects.
Little Lane Studios
Bay Area Art
Classes + Workshops